Do you ever have a situation where the black screen on Dell laptop then turns back on by itself after a few minutes? If you answered yes, you are not alone in your struggle. I’ve also had this problem where my black screen on dell laptop for a second and then resumes regular operation. Black screen on dell laptop users is more likely to experience this issue. But the problem could be caused by more than just problems with the operating system, which we will look into below. The difficulty is that you can’t figure out what’s wrong because there are no error messages displayed on the screen.
Top 9 Solutions to Fix Black Screen On Dell Laptop in 2022
So, we’ve compiled a list of all the reasons why your computer or laptop screen suddenly goes black, as well as all the alternative methods to help you escape the vexing black screen.
What causes the screen to go black at random?
As previously said, the screen might go black for a variety of reasons, making it impossible to pinpoint what is causing the problem, whether it is a hardware or software issue. The following are some of the probable causes of the screen malfunction.
The power supply is unstable
The most common cause of the black screen on dell laptops is an unstable power supply, which indicates that there may be issues with the power supply unit. It is one of the most important components of a computer since it provides power to the motherboard. If the motherboard is not getting a precise voltage as specified by the manufacturer, screen problems are unaffected, and all you need to do is replace the power supply unit. But first, consider the following considerations before tinkering with computer hardware.
VGA/HDMI video cable that isn’t working
I’ve seen that when people have computer problems, they often try to fix them in awkward ways before looking into more obvious causes. I believe you should not overlook the fundamental reasons for a shift in computer behavior. If you’re having trouble with a black screen, make sure your video cable is in good working order. You may verify it by borrowing another video cable from a friend or purchasing a new one for as little as $2-$3. If the problem with your screen remains after the use of a new video cable, there may be other reasons for it to go black.
Examine the power and monitor display cables
Along with the video cable, make sure your power cable is in good working order. Make sure the power cord is securely fastened to the monitor’s power port. Even if the monitor loses power because of a loose connection, it quickly recovers and goes back to normal, so you won’t even notice.
Overclocking the GPU or GPU might also cause the screen to suddenly go black. If you have installed a dedicated graphics card, also called a video card, and overclocked it without using extra cooling methods like water cooling, it is possible that some of your computer’s parts have been damaged and should be replaced at all costs. If you aren’t a serious gamer or don’t know much about overclocking, it’s not a good idea to overclock your CPU or GPU. This will cause your components to burn.
Graphics drivers are missing or outdated
Graphics drivers, also known as video card drivers, are the applications that run on your graphics card and connect your operating system to the hardware. If malicious software breaks them or deletes them by accident, your system won’t work right. You may experience software errors or unexpected results, such as a black screen. We’ve listed the answer below, along with simple instructions for resolving the problem. But keep in mind that you should not destroy any of the existing driver files.
A problem with the laptop battery
A few days ago, a friend’s laptop, which was running Windows 10, had a problem where the monitor would occasionally go black and then come back on. See also: 3 Ways To Show Your Profile Picture Instead Of Video In A Zoom Meeting When he tried to install a new program, the screen went black and the laptop had to be reset automatically. The real issue turned out to be a bad battery, which was changed, and he no longer had any problems.
Software from a third party
If your PC isn’t designed to handle demanding jobs like 4K video editing, app development, debugging, or high-end gaming, and you continue to do so on a low-end computer, it will waste a lot of power, RAM, and GPU, slowing down your machine. Despite the fact that this is an uncommon occurrence, it is suggested that you study the minimum system requirements before installing any program.
How can I stop my monitor from going black at random?
We’ve covered all of the options for dealing with the black screen problem in this article. Before you start troubleshooting, save and backup your files, and log in as an administrator to the system.
- Change the Hdmi/Vga Cable
- If the battery is too old, replace it and turn off overclocking.
- Apps and software that use a lot of your CPU should be uninstalled.
- Graphics Drivers (Install/Update)
- Upgrade to the most recent version of Windows or your current operating system.
- Examine the external power supply.
- Replace the power supply unit.
- The power saver should be turned off.
You may follow the step-by-step instructions here. All of the remedies listed below work under specific situations; if one doesn’t work, try another. If you discover a new method that works for you, please share it in the comments below.
Examine or replace the HDMI/VGA cable
This is the more obvious cause of your monitor going black for a second at random intervals. If the video cable is too old, it may become loose and lose connection with the CPU on a regular basis. Simply replacing the video wire will reveal if it is operating correctly or not. You may test a new cable on a separate system before purchasing it.
If it doesn’t work, the cable is most likely broken; get a new one! If your HP display or Acer monitor turns black at random, it suggests you’re using a different input source, such as a laptop. In this case, you might want to use a different input source, like a different laptop or CPU. If the external monitor displays the expected output, it means your primary laptop or input device is experiencing video port issues.
If the battery is too old, it should be replaced
The battery in your laptop may be the cause of a black screen. If your laptop suddenly has a black screen and restarts when doing tasks that use a lot of CPU power, like editing videos or installing large apps or software, it could be a problem with the battery. According to my experience, a laptop battery’s typical life is no more than three years, so replacing the battery will fix your problem.
Overclocking is a legal way to increase the performance of your computer without adding any more hardware. Many users have stated that when they overclocked their CPU, they got a black screen, but when they switched it off, the problem went away. So, you should turn off any overclocking, whether it’s on the CPU or the GPU, and try to run your computer at the factory settings. If you want to improve your PC’s performance, you may upgrade the hardware by adding more RAM, updating the CPU or GPU, or adding an SSD. Furthermore, delete any performance-enhancing software you have installed on your computer because some programs try to modify processes by deactivating or overriding them.
Remove any CPU-intensive programs or software
Even though it doesn’t happen often, if your system isn’t set up properly and can’t do certain tasks, it will automatically shut down or turn off partially. In this state, your PC is still working, but it can’t show any output. In this instance, if you undertake any CPU-intensive work on a low-end computer, such as editing super HD films or playing games, you may encounter this problem. As a result, you may easily increase your gear to meet the software’s requirements.
Update your graphics drivers
As previously said, drivers are necessary applications for your computer to function correctly. Your computer would be little more than a collection of hardware components if it didn’t have graphics drivers. It’s possible that if these graphics driver programs are missing or obsolete, a black screen will occur. Upgrade your graphics drivers if this is the case. Assuming you’re using Windows 10, follow the instructions below to upgrade your graphics driver.
The Manual Method
- You’ll see a list of devices if you press Window + S and type Device Manager.
- Now hunt for anything that corresponds to your graphics card, such as “intel,” “Nvidia,” and so on.
- The graphics card option is usually found under the display adapter option.
- A new window will appear when you double-click on the graphics card choice.
- From the tab menu, choose the Driver option, then click Update Driver.
- It will ask you if you want it to look for drivers automatically or manually from the computer.
- The first choice is the best since it will check your machine first to see whether the driver is available before checking online.
- You may simply select the second option if you have already downloaded the driver file.
- Now click Next, and your driver will be updated to the most recent version.
- Some individuals have problems manually installing drivers, so if you don’t want to go through the hassle, we offer an easy solution to install and upgrade drivers.
Using an automatic method
- Install a freeware program called Snappy Driver, which will locate any missing drivers on your computer for you.
- There is a lot of software for automated driver installation out there, such as Driver Simple, Avast, Driver Booster, and Driver Search, but none of them are free and charge you based on how often you use it.
- The snappy driver app’s UI is simple and straightforward.
- After you’ve installed it, simply follow the instructions on the screen.
- The program will locate all missing or obsolete drivers and install them for you without the need for you to search for them from official sources.
Upgrade to the most recent version of Windows or your operating system.
If you use Windows, you should consider upgrading your operating system to the most recent version. Bugs, malfunctions, and driver updates will be addressed by the upgrades. So, the most recent version of the OS will automatically download and update all of the stable versions of the most important files and drivers. Simply type “check for updates” into the search box to see whether a Windows update is available for you and if one is, download and install it.
Examine the power supply from the outside
I know it sounds silly, but if your motherboard isn’t getting enough power, your screen can start flickering or won’t show any output at all, even if the CPU is turned on. As a result, it’s a good idea to test other home peripherals to see if the power supply is enough.
Change the power settings on your computer
You will receive power options for your computer, which determine how much power it should use and how quickly it should execute tasks. balanced, power-saving and high performance are the three settings available on Windows. In balanced mode, your computer runs smoothly, neither too quickly nor too slowly. Setting your power plan to balanced is suggested, but you may alternatively pick high performance. The Power Saver is designed to save energy by using less power and slowing down the computer. All you have to do now is select either Balanced or High Performance as your power plan, and your computer will perform at its optimum.
Bonus: Windows 10 causes the monitor to go black at odd times
As a Windows 10 user, I’ve encountered the black screen several times. My laptop, which runs Windows 10, sometimes gets stuck and shows a black screen because I don’t turn it off very often. So, here’s a list of my findings, as well as the answers, that cause the monitor to go black and then return back to Windows 10.
Reasons for why a computer/laptop/external monitor goes black randomly
Overuse is one of the most common reasons for turning a computer or black screen on dell laptop. When a computer or laptop is used too much, it gets too hot, which can cause problems with the battery, less performance, power outages, driver errors, and other problems. Until you cease overusing your smartphone, a black screen will appear more frequently.
The second display on Windows 10 turns black at odd times
It’s possible that the cause of your PC monitor going black at random isn’t a software issue. Damaged HDMI/VGA ports, faulty cables, and loose ports are all possible causes of the black screen on dell laptop. So, if your Dell monitor turns black at random, check to see whether the wires are properly plugged into the ports. If everything seems fine, try the cords on other devices to make sure they are in good shape.
Windows 10: How to Fix a Black Screen
If you’re having trouble with a black screen on dell laptop, you might have looked online for a remedy like “display randomly turns black on Reddit” or “black screen on dell laptop and comes back on” or something similar. However, after reading this post, you will no longer seek the internet for a solution to your problem because we have listed all of the possible options here.
Making use of the task manager
If you’re using a Windows operating system and your screen suddenly goes black, the first thing you should do is close the current instance of Windows Explorer and open a new one. To learn how to create a new instance of Windows Explorer, follow the instructions below.
Take a look at the screenshot below.
- When your screen goes black, hit the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys on your keyboard at the same time to launch the task manager.
- If you notice a “more information” option in the newly launched window’s left bottom corner, click it to expand the task manager.
- To arrange active processes by names, click on processes and then on the “Name” column header.
- Right-click on the Windows Explorer option and select End Task from the drop-down menu.
- The current instance of Explorer will be closed as a result of this action.
- Now go to the task manager’s top menu and select File > Run New Task.
- When you type explorer into the box, a new instance of Windows Explorer will appear.
This is the most effective option for Windows users; however, data may be lost if not saved before the screen goes black.
Safe mode is used to restart the system
Starting the laptop in “safe mode” is another good way to fix the problem with the black screen on dell laptop. To get rid of a black screen, I generally attempt the approach described above. If it doesn’t work, I’ll try this. Safe mode helps you to resolve significant issues, such as deleting a malware, uninstalling unsuitable software, or a piece of code that may be preventing your computer from functioning correctly. You might try to restart the system normally before going into safe mode
- Press and hold the start button on your laptop for 8 to 10 seconds if you’re using one. It will bring the system to a halt. After a minute, hit the start button once again to restart your machine. It’s worth noting that if you didn’t save the data before the screen went black, you could lose your work.
- If the system continues to display a black screen on dell laptop after restarting, you have the option of starting it in safe mode. Follow the instructions outlined below to understand how to start Windows in safe mode. Hold down the power button on your laptop until it turns off.
- Press it again after a minute to start the system. However, as soon as you hit the start button, keep pressing the F8 key (or F7 for Windows 7) until the following screen shows.
- If you’re on a desktop, you should begin tapping the F8 key as soon as your laptop’s start button is pressed, before Windows attempts to boot.
- Now select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Click the Restart button on the starting settings screen to bring up the boot menu choices. To start the system in safe mode, use the 4 or F4 key on the keyboard.
- You’ll find console-based menu choices for previous versions of Windows that are identical.
- Use the arrow keys to go up and down, and the number keys to follow the directions. Your computer is now in safe mode.
- If you think a piece of software or an application is causing the black screen, remove it and restart the system normally.
Important hints for avoiding the monitor going black at random
- Installing third-party software and programs that are not from official sources is not recommended.
- Every day, when you’ve done your job, shut down the system properly.
- Never run too many programs at the same time, as this will slow down your computer.
- If you have a valid copy of Windows, you can email Microsoft or use another social media channel to get official help.
The black screen on dell laptops problem is a big problem for many people, but it can be fixed easily by following the steps above. All of the fixes black screen on dell laptop we offer work perfectly, have been checked by us, and come from the community. If none of the previous solutions worked for you or you discovered a new solution to the black screen problem, please let us know in the comments area so that we may all benefit.
Most Frequently Asked Questions
What can I do if my Samsung monitor turns black at random?
If you have a Samsung monitor, you might try connecting it to another display to see if it is operating properly. If the second monitor is functional, the first Samsung monitor can be replaced.
How can I fix my HDMI monitor going black at random?
If you have an HDMI-VGA or HDMI-HDMI cable connecting a display to a laptop, you can try connecting them by swapping the ports. Check whether the monitor displays anything using VGA-HDMI or VGA-VGA. If the problem goes away when you replace the cable or port, check to see if the cable or port is broken.
What should I do if my Asus display turns black at random?
The Asus monitor screen goes black at random because the cooling system of the Asus gaming computer may be broken or not operating correctly, causing the machine to overheat and shut down. The identical issue causes the MSI monitor to go black at random.
Is there a way to fix a Dell external display that turns black at random?
Dell and LG make some of the greatest monitors on the market. Dell and LG monitors go black at random due to a low or unstable power source. If your Dell monitor screen turns black at random, you can contact Dell customer care for on-call assistance.
What causes my monitor to go black when I’m playing games?
The following might be the cause: you have a dual monitor connected, and the dual-display turns black at random due to excessive graphics or poor screen resolution.